Fratelli Fresh Cooking Class, Waterloo

Seeing as we had an afternoon free, Daisy Moo, Chocolate Queen and myself booked ourselves in for a cooking lesson at Fratelli Fresh. These are held every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, by the friendly staff from Café Sopra. Electrolux provides all cooking appliances.

The menu is simple, with a focus for fresh, in season ingredients and Italian cooking. Our lovely hosts Donna and Liz took us through a simple salad and dessert.


Our pre-prepared stations

We started with a White Anchovy, Asparagus, Tomato and Vincotto salad

Salad Ingredients

Whilst giving us a demo, Liz encouraged us to try the white anchovies – even those who normally don’t like them. They’re quite different to the regular salty versions, being fairly soft, meaty and vinegary.

Assembled salad

We then moved onto the dessert – Rhubarb and Raspberry Trifle


Dessert Ingredients
Donna’s trifle, served in a cup

We made ours in provided plastic containers

Beaten egg white

The trifle mixture
Egg whites, egg yolks, marsala and marscarpone. Pretty much the same as a tiramisu mixture I think.

Trifle mixture topped with sweet rhubarb

The rhubarb had been pre-baked for us with cinnamon, cloves and star anise and juice. It was sweet and spicy, but just a touch too hard for me, I may have left it in the oven for a tad longer lol.

Savoiardi biscuits soaked briefly in orange syrup were then layered on top.

Finished with more trifle mix and raspberries - Yum!

In terms of skill, the level of cooking is quite basic, but the recipes are fresh and delicious. We did a quick shop after the lesson (I’m that’s what they hope for lol) and brought home some bananas, mini mandarins and my favourite – the Fratelli Fresh Olive Focaccia:)

Fratelli Fresh
7 Danks Street
Waterloo, NSW, 2017
Phone: (02) 9699 3161 on the 3rd Tuesday of the month between 9am and midday to make a booking for cooking classes

http://www.fratellifresh.com.au/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh great stuff! I was all booked to do this but then they told me that they had a strict no photos policy so I opted out. Perhaps they've changed their mind!c

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the only time I tried to take photos at Fratelli I was firmly and quickly told to refrain. Not sure why they're a bit funny about it?

Miss Honey said...

Oo I didn't realise they were iffy about pictures, I didn't even ask anyone...

The two taking the class didn't seem to mind though, even helping me take photos....

Anonymous said...

The woman I tried to book with was not very friendly so perhaps it was her. She also turned quite snippy when I had to cancel my spot too so I didn't really feel motivated to go back!

When I went to Cafe Sopra and walked past the class, the people holding it seemed very friendly though!

Copyright © 2008 - The Delectable Delight - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template